Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Saying and Doing

The difference between saying and doing is something that I've been exploring this semester and last, as I find myself doing more and more with my life. I've always considered myself a good person: semi-involved, semi-informed, at least much better than the "average American" out there... As I become more involved and people start to depend on me, I have realized that leadership cannot be run with quiet suggestions. We all spend so much time thinking about the things we want, but to actually take the first steps and pursue to completion of your idea is the most rewarding thing in the world.

The ability to plan and follow up makes the line between stoners and activists, dreamers and leaders, sloppy companies and successful ones. In college, our ability to get out there means the difference between a successful, engaging experience of friendship and adventure or the safety of comfort and routine. I read Robert Quinn's "Building the Bridge as You Walk On It: A Guide to Leading Social Change" this winter break, where he talks about "the fundamental state of leadership". It's a pretty cool idea, that thinking and being present can inspire others around you to jump out of their own routine, as he calls it "slow death" which is the enemy of progress. I have a copy if anyone is interested, it's a nice quick read that really has stuck with me.

Another powerful realization actually comes from the movie of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. During his Dumbledore's Army montage, Harry says "Voldemort and Dumbledore were once students too!" A lot of students don't realize this, but everyone who is on top started out right where you are. The leaders of today have nothing to stop us doing whatever we want to do. I now know what I want to do (I'll post it on here soon) and it is now at the point of doing one thing after another to make it happen and change a system. If there is any aspect of culture or [world] economics or ethics that bothers you enough, or is inefficient to the point where you think you could do it better, learn more about it and take charge. Become an expert, build connections, change the field. (It's why I'm a social entrepreneur, it's the future).

Everyone can lead change, college sets you up to do it. Make the most of it because caring about your studies is the only reason you're here. Don't waste 4 years half-assing your life, what are you going to do for your time here?

Take charge of your future.

-Eddie

Moment of Zen:
"Each moment missed is a moment unlived. Each moment missed makes it more likely I will miss the next moment, and live through it cloaked in mindless habits of automaticity rather than living in, out of, and through awareness."

No comments: